Reports To: Executive Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience
BAJI is an education and advocacy group comprised of African-Americans and African, Caribbean and Afro-latin@ immigrants. BAJI was founded in Oakland, California and getting African-Americans to see that the modern day immigrant rights movement is on the cutting edge of the historic struggle against racism is the organization’s main focus.
In the San Francisco Bay Area, BAJI has a number of initiatives in Oakland, Richmond and San Pablo and is seeking to hire an experienced organizer to further deepen our work in these communities.
The BAJI Bay Area Organizer will be responsible for implementing the BAJI strategic plan in consultation with BAJI staff, BAJI organizing committee members, and core partners in the Bay Area. She/he will show leadership and commitment to BAJI’s guiding principles, framework, analysis and implementation methods.
Duties & Essential Job Functions
- Participate in immigrant rights and racial justice coalitions and campaigns
- Public speaking
- Coordinate events, trainings and activities
- Staff local BAJI organizing committees
- Outreach to black elected officials and black leadership
- Provide/ facilitate education for migrant justice and labor groups about issues affecting African American communities; African American culture and history; and African American migration and displacement
- Write for BAJI publications and other publications
- Perform other duties as assigned
Organizer must demonstrate knowledge about black and immigrant communities in the Bay Area; an ability to mobilize people around a particular event or issue; and the ability to recruit new core members to BAJI organizing committees as well as maintain relationships with community members and strategic leaders.
- Strong written and verbal communication
- At least two years community organizing experience
- Self-motivation and ability to follow through on assigned tasks
- Multilingual ability a plus
If interested, please email resume and cover letter to: Gerald Lenoir at email@example.com. If you have questions, please call 510-663-2254.