Position: Full-Time, Independent Contractor
Reports To: National Organizer
Salary: Commensurate with experience
BAJI is an education and advocacy group comprised of African-Americans and black immigrants from Africa, Latin American and the Caribbean. Getting African-Americans to see that the modern day immigrant rights movement is on the cutting edge of the historic struggle against racism is BAJI’s main focus.
Over the past decade, the South has experienced a greater percentage increase in immigrant populations than any other region in the U.S. With the passage of repressive, anti-immigrant laws in Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina, the South has become a major battleground for immigrant rights and racial justice.
Throughout the years, BAJI has built strong relationships with community activists, faith leaders, civil rights leaders and immigrant rights activists in the South and BAJI staff has provided training, technical assistance and education to groups in these states. Given these relationships and BAJI’s long-range goal of alliance building between African-Americans and immigrants, we are seeking to hire an experienced organizer in the South.
The BAJI Southeast Regional Organizer will be responsible for implementing BAJI’s strategic plan in consultation with staff and core partners in the Southeast. She/he will show leadership and commitment to BAJI guiding principles, framework, analysis and implementation methods.
Duties & Essential Job Functions
- Participation in immigrant rights and racial justice coalitions and campaigns
- Public speaking
- Outreach to black elected officials and black leadership
- Maintain and expand email and social media list of Southeastern contacts
- Provide/facilitate education for migrant justice and labor groups about issues affecting Africa-American communities; African-American culture and history; and black migration
- Write for BAJI publications and other publications
- Coordinate outreach and activities
- Perform other duties as assigned
Organizer must demonstrate knowledge about black and immigrant communities in the South; an ability to mobilize people around a particular event or issue; and the ability to recruit new core members to a BAJI Organizing Committee as well as maintain relationships with community members and strategic leaders.
Other qualifications include:
- Strong written and verbal communication
- At least two years community organizing experience
- Self-motivation and ability to follow through on assigned tasks
- Multilingual ability a plus
If interested, please email resume and cover letter to: Opal Tometi – firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions please call 602-845-9248.
** Please submit no later than Monday August 27, 2012 by 5pm PST. **